2.22.2011

Influenza Blues

So. It seems there is a rogue flu virus going around that wasn't included in the vaccine released for this season. You either get over it in 5-7 days or you develop a nasty secondary respiratory infection which, in my case, required 10 days of antibiotics and heavy-duty cough syrup. Bummer. Going on week 3 to recover. Produced more mucus in that time than in the rest of my life put together. Friends popping up all over Texas, at least, who also are having problems.

No energy, so have not been keeping up with my 52 Weeks. Or rehearsals. Totally lost my voice for four days, still hoarse.

In the Hill Country dog sitting and recuperating. Caught a sweet, modest sunset. And the dogs don't care that I sleep most of the time. Nor that I only half-heartedly throw sticks for them. Nor that I can't squeak out much more than an occasional "good doggie."

Tried to produce a musical sound and nothing came out. My vocal chords are non-functional. Was cautioned by a fellow singer to not even try to whisper, which actually puts more strain on them than singing. Rest is best, and mega-hydration.

My sis left healthy food and lots of fruit and veggie juices, so no problem there. And the view is still spectacular--nothing wrong with my eyes. Well, since the oozing stopped after day 3 of antibiotics. That's actually what sent me to the dr., along with the fact that I couldn't breathe, sleep, taste, eat, or otherwise exist.

So be aware! If you happen to get this flu, do not hesitate to go to your doctor if you aren't better within 5-7 days. It can really knock you down and put you out of commission for what seems like an overly long time.

And you may not be lucky enough to have a Hill Country retreat stocked with healthy food, satellite TV, wireless, hundreds of birds, coyotes, loads of other wild critters, and two trusty Airedales.


3 comments:

Karen J said...

Ewwww! and Yukkers - A cold *can* give you a welcome break from daily-hustle-n-bustle, but full blown flu is not fun, even in the Hill Country.

Get well soon Juju coming your way from Chicago-ish!

K

Kay Dennison said...

Yikes!!!!! I'll nention it to my doc when I see her next week! Thanks!!! I'm glad you're well taken care of and hope you get well!

joared said...

Expect you have your voice back by now. Definitely, but definitely, do not whisper. Instead of undulating normally your vocal cords tense and pound each other when we whisper. A breathy voice (ala Marilyn Monroe) with slight air exhale -- ah-h-h -- before voicing if you must speak.