6.24.2006

More images, more images!

The scanner/printer choked to death on a half inch stack of paper. So much for scanning those thousands of images of Janis Joplin, Led Zepplin, the stars of yesteryear from my days as a pop festival photographer, traveling the country independently with camera and press pass or as a staffer with Showco Sound. My dear friend Loralyn, former news photographer with the former Dallas Times Herald, taught me to rely on my own eye, no light meter, to capture the moment, when we went shooting around Dallas or throughout the the north Texas countryside.
I don't hear much from Loralyn these days, though I'd love to, she was another of my artistic friends who informed my sensibilities as a nineteen year old in 1965, breaking out of the chauvinistic restrictions of the times and knowing who we were, but not how to deal with the crushing masculine chokehold on society and the limitations that slammed down on all of us.

Don't judge her teaching abilities (or my technique!) by this shot of the water sculpture at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam on a chilly, rainy April afternoon. This was my first trip abroad with a camera in ten years, and I was ignorant of how strong airport x-ray machines are these days, so I lost 3/4 of my photos. Bummer. Next time I'll know to protect them more carefully. The water sculpture runs constantly, not just when it rains, by the way. Snapped while waiting to purchase a print version of the Rembrandt-Caravaggio exhibit featured during Rembrandt's 400th birthday celebration.

As for Janis et al...they'll have to wait til I wrestle the paper from the maw of this tantalizing but useless scanner.

2 comments:

cchang said...

I would love to see your concert photos one of these days! I have no idea how one goes about getting a press pass. That would be a dream job of mine though. I figure I do well enough while standing in a pit---I can't imagine how much better my pics would be if I didn't have someone elbowing me or smashing me up against the barricades!

SUEB0B said...

I hope you get it all worked out. I think it would be great to see the photos.