9.12.2007

9/11--Brahms, flow, and Csikszentmihalyi


I was determined to not get all twisted up about 9/11 and put myself back in the stew of garbage since then. Singing Brahms was much better for my soul. Putting out heart-felt vibrations with my whole body and intellect. In truth, I've come to think of music and being a musician as a simple conduit for that ethereal life force that connects everything. Music, even 150 year old music, has the power to move and heal us, especially if we (musicians) transcend ego and simply let the spirit of the composer flow through us. I strongly believe that this flow is everywhere, we only have to sample the excitement in and of the air that we breath and sing with.

This is the essence of prana, the Hindu word for the breath/life force. It cannot be created, it cannot be destroyed. It just flows. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has cool things to say about flow. One is most holy when one attains flow.

2 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

How I envy such a wonderful gift! I can't carry a tune in a bucket!

kokopelliwoman said...

I'd bet anything you could if I could get hold of you...I sang growing up, then stopped cold at age 12 when a church choir director got on my case for being silly in rehearsal, when I had a cold. Didn't sing a note for decades, then finally decided to get rid of that old tape, and have been singing ever since. I'm a firm believer that anyone can sing if they are given the chance, some gentle instruction, and exposure to how good it feels and sounds to sing. Come on down, I'll give you a few lessons!