7.21.2008

So long to The Good Musician

This is one of the many altars, or groupings of art in St. Vitus basilica in Prague. This piece is solid silver, one of a grouping of five. It's quite stunning, as virtually everything else is gold.

The Good Musician blog will retire on July 31. It's been an interesting four months, I've certainly learned a good deal about the world of blogging for pay. I loved the writing discipline, and at the same time had a great lesson in my personal boundaries and commitments. b5media are the greatest--supportive, congenial, and their admin is superb. I hope to work with them again.

Freakin' hard work. My lovely readers are familiar with my freewheeling style, and I believe that's when I write my best. Or at least my most satisfying. Not to say that I am not quite proud of my work as TGM, I was in heaven writing about music. Fried Okra Productions and the people who pop in and say hi, and share fascinating ideas and stories, is home. I missed it.

Of course, that's all very self-serving. It's kinda like my relationship with my flute and my voice. I got my first flute at age seven, a Bundy nickle plated wonderful shiny music-making real instrument. Of my own. To play as much as I wanted. A black case with blue velvet lining. A St. Louis music store sticker nestled by the cleaning rod.

I've sung all my life, except for a period from age 12 to 18, after a grumpy church choir director made a snide remark about me being too sick to sing, but singing anyway, and lousing it up, sneezing, head aching, NOT wanting to be there. Withered my little feelings so's I didn't sing again til college, and by that time I was heavy into the instrumental groove.

For a very long time, through grad school and as a performing musician. Then I got tired of being so focused on going to the edge of flute playing. I just wanted to sing for a while. So that's what I've done. Taken lessons, always a member of the muni chorus, paid section leader, contractor, ringer, et al for several decades now, and I like a chamber chorus to keep my chops up. Or just any singing, wherever--Ballet Austin, ASO, Festival at Round Top, Georgetown Festival of the Arts.

Over time, I've learned to supplement singing by combining it with arts management. Dashing up on stage at the last second after hauling a portativ organ in my station wagon for 80 miles, my entire wardrobe was black so that I didn't have to worry about changing into concert gear in addition to putting the show up.

So where was I? Comparing TGM and FOP. Different instruments. Exceedingly cool at different times. So what do I do? My head is into repertoire at the moment, working with a group of musicians and admins to set programs for this year, while supporting the group during the transition in conductors. Listening to scads of music, going through old programs, awash in fond memories. There's so much good music out there. You might think about searching out the chorus in your town and having a listen.

4 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I'm sorry to hear that. It is an interesting blog.

And yes, I do support our Symphony Chorus -- my buddy Fred is a tenor with it! AND I just found out that someone started a light opera company and I'll be checking that out, too (& will report back!)! I love light opera. Someone called me a culture vulture when I mentioned that I renewed my seat at the symphony. I don't mind being called that if the party is teasing and smiling. This person was not but I was good; I didn't whack him a good one.

I love the Arts and wish I had talent for such. I envy youm Claudia!

kokopelliwoman said...

What an odd thing to say. How dare that person equate the love of music and theater with carrion-feeding birds. I love them both. They both have their place, but not to artificially compare apples to oranges. Silly person.

Joared said...

Sounds like you're focusing on what most pleases you. I wondered how you could have time to devote to what must be a time consuming research and writing venture with "The Good Musician." I did find it of interest, but would think it takes a long time to build a readership.

kokopelliwoman said...

Joared, you are correct. At our age, what do we have to lose? We certainly have everything to gain. And yes, building a readership takes much more expertise than I am applying at present. FOP for me is not so much about attracting readers as it is an outlet for expressing what touches me most deeply. Thank you so much for saying that you found TGM interesting. Music is certainly my passion, and I hope to find another outlet, hopefully not so demanding, where I can rhapsodize about my favorite subject. I am considering posting the TGM posts from time to time, just to share with FOP readers. Please know I value your thoughts and opinions. I feel like I've met several BFFs through FOP, and you are certainly one of them.